Cowboy Ilean--our Grand Canyon trail ride

Monday, February 10, 2014

Just some catch up

Here it is February and a whole year now of retirement for Doug.  It's been full of life's experiences.  Things continue on as normal more or less here.  Nothing too new for the kids--just living life the best they know how and us too.  My art class and the present picture I am painting on is giving me pleasure.  I am figuring out gradually how to paint with oils and in finding some success,  gives me pleasure.  I can easily find myself comparing myself to my teacher and Ranae (my neighbor, who is an exceptional artists) as sorely lacking in talent.  But I guess I get just enough success to keep me coming back for more and trying and trying.  Not sure why I want to create and make nice pictures to look at--it gives me pleasure??  Probably.  I also know I need to find ways to relax and calm my mind--and art can do that.  I go to my art class every Monday morning and the 3 of us sit and paint and visit and visit and that makes it so nice--to have that sociality with 2 intelligent, righteous women.  I enjoy that part a lot.  Wish it could go on forever, but I think our little group will break up when the Britton's head on their mission (which could be this year).  But for now I will take advantage of this time together.  I too, have been thinking of mission--when would we go?  Seems like such a different part of my life.  How would that change everything?  Scary in a way to think about change.  The Orme's too are making plans to leave on a mission.  That would leave us holding down the neighborhood for a while, or until we leave, and then what??  Wish I had a crystal ball and could look into the future and know what to expect.
  Last Thursday night I attended the Pony Express District Scout Leaders Award Dinner where I and about 10 others were presented with the District Award of Merit.  It was an honor to be selected and receive this recognition.  30 or so years involved with the boy scouts.  I have always thought how cool scouting was for boys. Watching my 2 older brothers involved in the campouts and other fun scouting activities, I thought was the neatest thing ever.  When I got old enough to be in YW and the camping, I totally bought in on all that stuff--and worked for and completed the campcrafter program, being a youth leader at girls camp, and anything else related.  I loved the adventure and being outdoors and roughing it, challenging myself.  I would imagine if the opportunity would have been there to do girls sports, or wilderness survival, or things of that nature, I would have found a way to be involved.  As it was, I had to settle for any occasional camping with the family and young women's (which wasn't much at that time--my parents were too busy in church and older--I was the 6th of 9 children--they had given a lot of that up).  I had a great opportunity though to go with Mom and Dad when I was 16 to Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico where Dad participated in scout training by the church and the families got to go along and have a vacation.  We stayed in tents, and had tons of varied experiences all while enjoying beautiful country.  That was a great adventure--I loved it.  I also happened to meet a young man that was interested enough in me to come and visit in Las Vegas, and wanted me to write him while he was on a mission.  Thank Goodness, I met Doug before he got home.  Maybe by default I would have just gone along with dating him some more and maybe marriage??  UGH--the thought scares me. 
 
 Feb 1978--Castle Rock, Colorado-- Ilean with my first Blazer Scout group--Obviously a skit--think we sang "Old Maggie Jones" to the tune of "In the Shade of the Old Apple Tree"--(the words and why they were bandaged up.  --Old Maggie Jones she was a lovely maiden, In fact you see, was homelier than me.  I never chanced upon this lovely maiden, until one day as I was passing by.  She said if I for her would pick some apples, that she would bake for me an apple pie.  So I climbed up the old apple tree, for a pie was a rare thing for me.  With Maggie below with her apron spread so, to catch all the apples, you see.  But just then a limb broke, holy gee----I broke 7 bones, half near killed Maggie Jones,  In the Shade of the Old Apple Tree.  ( I loved this apron thing--a 70's thing--and of course sewed by me)
 
And here is the Sullivan family singing "Ole Maggie Jones for the Roger's Family Reunion skit, June 1979 in Grants, New Mexico.  --Just a fun comparison.

 

Ilean--District Award of Merit 2014
We are heading on a trip tomorrow --going to enjoy some warmer weather down South and being just with Doug.  Last night I got to go and visit with Martha Jones.  She has brought another group from Texas to do genealogy--33 this time.  They went down to the BYU Family History library on Sunday (they are open 2 x a month for that).  Anyway met up with her for a visit.  She is a remarkable woman--does so much.  She kind of understands that this is part of her mission in life--a calling from God.  It is something that she does so well.  Had a great visit with each other and catching up on each other's lives.  I did a stake class on family history for an especially for adult conference a week ago.  It turned out well, and feel like I was able to motivate those in attendance to become involved in their family history.  I have been teaching a family history course as a SS class this whole past year and have had about 30 or so go through it.  In that time Family Search has changed and changed--really has vastly speeded up in doing work using the site.  Things are escalating!  I enjoy being able to take our own family names to the temple.  Speaking of--that has changed so much over this year too.  It is good to be a part of all this work.  Sounds like I am constantly busy--sometimes yes.  I pay a price for that in wound up adrenal glands that won't let me sleep at night.  I have to learn how to relax--something I was never good at.  Slow down and enjoy my life.  Have even tried to read some books that will help me figure that out.  Not yet anyway, as I was awake most of the night last night--my mind just didn't want to shut down.  Of course I am tired today and washed out.  I have come to really value a good night's sleep when I get it and this does keep me humbler. 

 

1 comment:

  1. I remember hanging around while you did taught those scouts. I got to be the "injured victim" sometimes when you were teaching first aid. I thought it was magical. I also remember that family song at the Rogers reunion. I remember Dad trying to get me to sing. He offered me gum...a whole pack of gum if I would sing (a great prize for a little kid). I remember considering his offer carefully, but then deciding it wasn't worth it. So funny that I remember that! Congrats Mom on that honor. You were made for scouting! ...and family history ....and painting...and so many things. You are amazing, mom!

    ReplyDelete

Doug on Twinkie

Doug on Twinkie

On the way out--Ilean--Doug right behind

On the way out--Ilean--Doug right behind