Cowboy Ilean--our Grand Canyon trail ride

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Desert Respite

I think the title describes my feelings about the desert.  It just speaks to my soul to be out where the terrain is so arid and visible--lots of scenic views.  We took out trip to southern Utah and so enjoyed the warmer weather and being out in the open desert landscape.  Tuesday night we took in a temple session at our temple (as that is where all this started back in 1970).  Wednesday we headed over to Snow Canyon.  Amazingly I don't ever remember visiting there in all the many, many trips to southern Utah from Las Vegas.  It sure is a beautiful place.  We were pretty much by ourselves.  It really was the first warm day they had had there, and lucky for us it was midweek.  We just enjoyed feeling the warmth, looking at the vistas, and examining the desert dirt and plants.  Took a hike to the lava flows and seeing some of the underground caves created.  Reminded me of Skeleton hole above my grandmother's house in Hurricane.  It was just a volcanic tube, but of course it was mysterious to us as little kids, and we would make a trek up there most times we visited. 

Looking down Snow Canyon


 


 The slot canyon--Jenny Canyon in Snow Canyon-- This chapparel bush was so florescent in the sun--tried to capture the colors. And then the smell was wonderful too.  Couldn't get enough of the scents.
Doug in Snow Canyon--and looking down into one of the caves in the lava flow
 
After we finished our hike we headed over to the golf course where we had scheduled a tee time.  Shot a bucket of balls each to try and get into practice again.  It was a beautiful course and the grass was green and it was warm--how much nicer could it get.  We played 9 holes and found out how bad we played golf--but we enjoyed ourselves in spite of it.  It wasn't quite as nice as the death valley golf game where we had it basically all to ourselves.  We had people here that we let play through so we could take a little more of our time.  Took us 2 hours.  Dinner was enjoyable at a fancy restaurant where you cook your own steak on a rock.

 Red Hills Golf course is in a beautiful setting.  Riding the golf carts are why we really do golf--fun to run around in them

                      We will be joining the PGA tour for sure--mostly golf is about being in pretty places.
 The next morning we checked out and headed to the Lytle Ranch.  I like to make this one of my pilgrimages as it takes us to the Utah/Nevada border and out away from civilization and nothing but desert and views in all directions.  The old ranch was built along beaver dam wash where they planted crops and fruit trees.  BYU took over the property and manage it for their students to use it to study--but it is open to the public.  Lots of birds and other wildlife in this oasis.  We observed different animal tracks around the place--turkey, coyote, lizards, raccoon,  and more.  There is a Joshua tree forest all the way from the main highway that is always fascinating.  How can you get so many different forms--no two are alike.  They are amazing trees.  I came back home with a branch of a Thamnosma Montana (turpentine broom--I had to do some research online to figure out what it was) that smells so good.  I want to get one growing in my solarium so I can smell desert whenever I want. 
One of the fields on the Lytle Ranch--Doug walking down the road
Just me sitting in a Mesquite Tree Lytle Ranch

Finally we made our way to Mesquite where we got a room then went tried our hand at bowling--I finally cracked a hundred after 3 rounds.  Dinner was great at their buffet--but as always you have to go through the casino and I was reminded once again of what life was like growing up by gambling.  I guess in a way your eyes are open and you see it for what it really is--garbage.  After we had dinner we went for a drive over on the other side of the Virgin River just as the sun was going down.  It provided a glorious sunset that was reflected off the water as we drove in the growing dusk.  Add to that a full moon that was up too, and it was just beautiful.  I had never been to that side of the river and to the community of Bunkerville.  I'm glad I finally went and saw the agriculture that is there. 
We headed back up to southern Utah by the old highway again the next morning so we could stop and see the Anasazi petroglyphs above the Santa Clara River, and then drove on to Sand Hollow Reservoir and on into Hurricane.







This is taken atop the ridge that is above the Santa Clara River --across from Ivins.  That is Red Mtn in the background.  The petroglyps are behind me (I'm taking the picture) and over looks the Santa Clara river gorge--up on a cliff.





                Anasazi petrolgyphs all over the place up here.  Whether they are really Anasazi can be disputed I think.  This picture is actually looking down on the Santa Clara River--although it doesn't look like it--probably a 1000 ft or so down.  These are the rocks on the side of the cliff where the petroglyphs are. 

Sand Hollow Reservoir outside Hurricane, Utah where Holly and Bruce worked and became reacquainted with each other--where their romance began really.  Sand Mountain is behind me (as I am taking the picture)

Caught up with Mark and Denise where we would spend the night and drove on over to Virgin where we got to tour the cemetery.  I don't remember ever having been here, although I'm sure Mom and Dad would have taken us kids.  I was amazed to see all these relatives--the Bradshaws, Isoms, Parkers, Spendloves--the first settlers there in Virgin. 
George Isom headstone, Virgin, Ut my gggrandfather
John Parker headstone, Virgin, Ut my ggggrandfather, and Samuel Bradshaw, Ann White 3greatgrandparents as well. Feel kind of like just 1 of many of their descendants, but still how much they must love me too.  Look forward to meeting them again.  Their stories are amazing to me--but maybe my story will be amazing to them. 

Then we drove on up the back highway behind Zion and were blessed to see some more beautiful scenery.  The snow was still on the sides of the road here in places.  We didn't get to go all the way to Kolob Reservoir where we wanted to get to, but had to turn around in order to get back to have a valentine dinner with Mark and Denise.  The restaurant had live music and a nice buffet and it was great company as we each shared our own valentine's story (meeting our spouses) .

 


 



Saturday morning Mark took us out to a mesa overlooking Werner Valley so he could show us the sand dunes and a glimpse of the honeymoon trail.  We decided it was a trip we had to plan on doing with him in April.  Just need to find some 4-wheelers to do it.  Had to head north and home
 after this excursion.  Tried hard to get my fill of desert, and think I did.  
 
 Mark and Doug atop the mesa outside Hurricane where we overlooked Werner Valley
 


 Over look of Werner Valley--could see just glimpses of the honeymoon trail from here.  Beautiful scenery as well.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Doug on Twinkie

Doug on Twinkie

On the way out--Ilean--Doug right behind

On the way out--Ilean--Doug right behind