Cowboy Ilean--our Grand Canyon trail ride

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Carnage on the Farm

So yesterday, the wind blew and blew, bringing in a snow storm that hit about 6:00 last night. It stirred up my sinuses--making them much worse--since I am trying to battle a sinus infection too. Emory ran in and told me mid-day that Cooper was not in bounds on the wire containment (his collar). So I bundle up and head outside check the electric line, and sure enough one of the kids (one of many grandkids running around the yard during the last many days) had pulled the wire loose from its connection, hence a dead line. I patched that and then emory runs back in to tell me that Cooper is again over the line. I bundle up and head back outside and start to check collars on dogs. I discover that Cooper is missing the transmitter part of his collar. How did that come off? Find that and then go and check Nilla, and discover that she has this terrible infection on her nect from the collar irritating her skin. YECH!  So I remove collars, find the tranmitter part of Cooper's collar easily and head back inside to clean those up--soaking in hot water, detergent and bleach--after removing the transmitters.  Then I go back outside to try and doctor Nilla up. She was amazingly calm and allowed me to soak the wound repeatedly in hot water, then put a dressing on. Maybe dogs understand when they really need help. Normally she would have nipped at me. I finally resorted to just putting the dogs away in the barn--the wind was so bad I sure they appreciated getting out of it. Snow came in and the wind dropped and we all headed to bed for a good nights sleep.
This morning after breakfast, I head out to feed the chickens.  Can't believe what I am seeing--chicken bodies everywhere! 2 injured bad (may not survive at all) and 1 dead and 2 missing--out of 10 chickens we are now down to 5. All in one night.  I am sure it is a raccoon that had come in during the night (why he would have choosen a stormy night?). So then I think is there anything I can do. I apply my brain, say a prayer and go to doctoring the 2 chickens--even putting a bandage on one that is missing a piece of flesh after using hot soapy water, red wonder and neosporin. I can only imagine the shock the chickens must suffer from being attacked. I would die from pure fright. Then I doctor Nilla again and make a call to our neighbor to bring the cat trap home so maybe I  can bait and catch a raccoon. Taking out 5 of my chickens in one night is too much. I need to not let him get away with this. He'll be back.  And just when we were getting lots of eggs.  And to top this--we have been having deer come into the yard--eating away at things.  We have got to put a stop to all this rural stuff--we shouldn't have this many rural problems in an urban environment, right?

1 comment:

  1. So sorry about the chickens Mom. Can't you train Cooper to guard the chickens or something? Or teach Lucas how to shoot a shotgun and put him on guard at night? :)
    Were they closed in their coop when the racoon came?

    ReplyDelete

Doug on Twinkie

Doug on Twinkie

On the way out--Ilean--Doug right behind

On the way out--Ilean--Doug right behind