Cowboy Ilean--our Grand Canyon trail ride

Sunday, October 10, 2010

UpDating Life

So I have been absent for over a month, but this has been on my mind to post on my blog. Funny that for something that didn't even exist in my life in previous years, that this has become something that I feel I need to add to, to feel responsible about. Maybe it is a way to prove that my life is going forward, that it is happening, and I better write something to prove that I am progressing, I have learned something--or better yet--I have enjoyed my life.




So I turned the big 60 on September 28. A sobering age. Now I really am old. I had visiting teachers drop by that morning and I shared that I find myself so grateful for my life and try to express it in my prayers--"Thank you for my life" and for the chance to come to earth and live and have all these various experiences. That invariably brings tears of gratitude if I express that. You remember the line in the movie Joe vs the Volcano--where he is out on the raft in the middle of the ocean and thinks he is about to die--and there with the full moon coming over the horizon he expresses to God his gratitude for his life. That always makes me cry too, because I feel like Joe.



So I think back over my 60 years and think of all the changes that have taken place in the world that I was born into in 1950. I experienced growing up in the 50's with an idyllic (sp?) home life. A father and mother who loved each other and their children, brothers and sisters around me, an innocent time when doors were still left unlocked (even in Las Vegas) and you could have sleepovers with friends & run down the street at midnight. And then get to come of age in the 60's with hippies, Vietnam War, Beatles, etc. Marriage and creating my own family life followed and kept me busy for the next 40 years. And now almost on the other side of that I get to define my life again, and not sure totally how. I do know one thing--I can trust in the Lord to show me the way, and what. So I go by faith, and a day at a time to make my life into whatever its suppose to be. I have been so blessed--but blessed also because I have tried to choose the things that would bring lasting happiness and to listen to the promptings of the Holy Ghost--therein lies the course director.

I just had two aunts that passed away within the last week. That brought some melancholy. Going to their funerals gave time for retrospection--and a realization of how time is passing and that our lives here on earth won't last forever. Now I am the older generation and the next in line to move on. I am no longer the young girl running heedlessly down the street without a care in the world. But-------

Having said all this--my life is not over yet, and I like to have fun, and I will continue to make life fun and look on the happy side of life. It is a choice, and I choose to look for the fun, happy things. So I need to share all the fun things that have happened.

CAMPSITE AT THE SPRUCES--BIG COTTONWOOD CANYON--SEPT 24-25, 2010



I felt compelled to pull together a family campout. Kind of crazy with that many young children--but we survived and made some fun memories--what life is made of. Then Beth and Roy needed some support, so Jessie and I left from the campout and traveled over Guardsman's Pass (saw some of the fall foliage)and dropped down into Midway to get to the Dirty Dash race they were timing. That was an adventure. At first, I was a little perturbed about the wild goose chase we were on, but finally decided it was what it was, and I should just go with the flow and see what transpires. That eased the anxiety and I relaxed to where we (Jessie and I) could just enjoy viewing it all.--what a wild race with people runing through mud, jumping into a mud pool, dressed in costumes, etc. ON THE HIKE FROM OUR CAMPSITE--SATURDAY, SEPT 25--CASEY AND HIS GIRLS



KAY AND ANGIE ON THE HIKE--KAY PACKING TOM--SEPT 25, 2010



EVERYONE STRUNG OUT ALONG THE TRAIL FOR THE HIKE --MY FAMILY


FUN ALONG THE TRAIL--HIKE--SEPTEMBER 25, 2010--SEAN HAD JUST RETURNED FROM BASIC TRAINING THIS WEEK.


In August Doug and I got to meet up with Randy and Pam Stewart and do a horse ride up at Fish Lake. What beautiful country. We had a wonderful time of "camping" in their camp trailer and taking day rides from the trail head each day. The last day was a killer in that we covered over 25 miles. I had had it by the end and was not a very happy camper. Izzy performed wonderfully and I was grateful for him. Doug does great no matter what. There has never been a bad day on a horse.



THAT'S RIGHT--MATCHING PAJAMAS.--TWINS --PAM STEWART AND ME--AUG 28, 2010--



DO I LOOK LIKE A PRO?--I'M GETTING BETTER.

TURNED OUT TO BE OUR 40TH WEDDING ANNIVERSARY HORSE RIDE
--THE REAL COWBOY--DOUG SULLIVAN--THE GUY I LOVE



DECIDED IT WOULD BE FUN TO MAKE MATCHING DRESSES FOR MY BEAUTIFUL GRANDDAUGHTERS--WHAT FUN TO HAVE THEM ALL DRESSED IN GREEN POLKA DOT. SPRING 2010--GRACE, EMORY, SOPHIE, JESSIE, HALLEE












JUST BEING A GRANDMA!! THE BEST!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Mom. I could use a viewing of Joe vs. The Volcano this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a wonderful life Mom! Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Doug on Twinkie

Doug on Twinkie

On the way out--Ilean--Doug right behind

On the way out--Ilean--Doug right behind