Cowboy Ilean--our Grand Canyon trail ride

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Change is in the Air

  Fall is my favorite time of the year and this year has been especially beautiful.  I need to share how my  birthday kept on giving.  Angie came early Saturday morning to make me breakfast.  The pancakes were delicious and I so enjoyed seeing the grandkids and having breakfast with them.  Then Casey and Helen had us for dinner Monday night.  Nice to be in there home and visit with them that evening.  Beth brought me a homemade card and peach syrup. Have to say thanks for all these remembrances and feeling loved.
Doug has been getting some vibes at work about a downturn and future layoffs.  He will be involved with some of these layoffs with people in his office.  He has been talking lots about what this will mean to him and his future work.  When will retirement come?  So we are in standby mode, just taking things as they come, but wondering what the future will hold.  2013 will be an eventful year I am sure.  I think change at any age is disconcerting, but as I get older I have a tendency to balk at it and resist it--not sure it will be a good thing.  Doug on the other hand is finding it harder and harder to go into work and looks forward to the day when he can relax.  My control nature will need to relax more I can see.  Just like yesterday, Doug was content to just let the day evolve, while I wanted to have some structure and check list of things done.  My result oriented way of being.  Yesterday was also the first day I didn't have to be at the Temple.  Felt strange to change that direction in my life.  Have really been able to do more temple "work" by being a patron since being released though.  Tuesday I met Tonna and Ellen and did a session in the Bountiful temple.  That is a very beautiful temple--the Celestial room is heavenly ( a very good description of the beauty) and awe inspiring.  Felt good to be there with my sisters whom seem dearer to me the older I get.  We then went up to Ellen's where she had prepared a luncheon for us.  We just sat on her back deck in the beauty of the fall season and visited and visited and visited.  Was so very nice.  I love my family. 
I have been working on the Mia Love campaign.  Praying hard for our country and for Mit Romney--but "if not" I try to be calm and trust in the Lord and His plan.  Sean is off to Camp Williams for a couple of weeks and a leadership training course. He is a fine young man that is maturing before my eyes.  Know that the young woman he marrys will be equally as fine.  I am trusting the Lord on the timing for him.  It will be just right.  Each of my children amaze me and their abilities and strengths and how they are conducting their lives.  So proud of each of them. 
So now I need to set some goals--and work towards them.  that is when I am happiest.  Doug asked me the other day where I wanted to go on a vacation.  This trip to Toronto that was a possibility, looks like it won't happen.  So I said, let's go to Monument Valley and do a horseback ride.  The Navajo's put you on one of their horses and take you for a half day ride or so.  Then Doug mentioned, what about the guy who takes people in there.  I have known about this Don Vinson who does this and looked at his rides, but figured it would be impossible for us to trailer our horses down there, because we don't have any living quarters arrangements while we would be down there for a week.  Will we still don't--but the idea has been planted--and maybe there would be a way.  So we are thinking about it now--next Spring??  check out the youtube video--it's inspiring and does a good job of building the dream.  You have to have a dream and something to look forward to.  That's my goal of going into retirement with Doug--to keep us out there chasing some dreams.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ4RN_O2FmI   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Doug on Twinkie

Doug on Twinkie

On the way out--Ilean--Doug right behind

On the way out--Ilean--Doug right behind