Cowboy Ilean--our Grand Canyon trail ride

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Springtime in the Rockies

Nice title huh.  So lots of things have been happening and I need to get some of them posted before they pass from memory.  Today I went down to BYU (the print shop there) to take Mom's history manuscript  (the printed 1st version) with the few changes we need to make on it.  I also added a audio file on the attached CD--a last minute idea. Had to go over to the media lab at the BYU library and use their equipment to transfer from a cassette tape to a CD. I have done so many first time things with this project. I am amazed at what I have been able to do.  We had an interview with Mom back in 2006 and you can hear her talking for about 30 minutes. The only recording we are putting into her history.  should make it that much nicer of a work for her posterity.  The whole job should be done and the finished books back in my hands in a week or so. WOW!  I spent some time this morning repacking journals and organizing all the 45 journals, and countless diaries, and other momentos that is my Mom and Dad's life. Boxing them up to send to Mark, and they will be out of my closets.  Could be a little sad, but I feel good, and I think they feel good.  their lives are continuing on, and my life is continuing on here. We will meet again and resume our association--it's all good and happy really.  I feel good that my parents posterity will know them that much better and will have a connection with them through these histories--and that was what it was all about.  Feel a satisfaction for the service I could render--a big job, and its now over. 

We went to New Mexico this past weekend for the temple session of Ginger (Doug's aunt) and cousin Brenda. The last was a surprise. Mother and daugter going through together for the 1st time. The weekend before that, Brenda's husband Kenneth joined the church--big surprsie too. Things are happening so fast down there it's hard to keep up--but is totally great.  Of course, it was a wonderful experience to be there in the temple together.  Casey and Sean both wanted to go with us on this road trip--so they only added to the specialness of the whole occasion.  We experienced the full gamut of weather--snow, blizzards, sun, wind, heat, cold. Crazy.  We were in tight quarters in a smaller car, but we managed to survive each other's idiocyrasies.  I know I was out of control at times.  When I get this way, I tend to beat myself up--thinking that I am such an idiot, do so many things that irritate people, and get me in trouble.  Nobody can possibably like being around me. totally unloveable.  Came to me in the temple session, when they say to "cast Satan out of your midst"--that was my problem. My incorrect, uncharitable feelings toward myself had allowed Satan to put a lot of negative thoughts flowing into my mind.  I had allowed him in, and I had to cast him out. I did and there was an immediate feeling of peace and happiness--letting me know how much he had hung in there with me.  Yuck. I had been feeling pretty miserable and making everyone else's life miserable too.  So I changed--thanks again to the Temple.  It was a pretty special time in the Celestial room and the Spirit felt was neat.  We headed back to stay the night in Cortez. Stopped and had dinner at a wonderful restaurant in Mancos, Colo--blizzard outside--good company inside.  Got to Cortez for the night, then church the next morning--then back on the road to get home by 5:00 pm.  A long trip in a short time, but good. I can say that now after a good night's sleep and some unwinding. I think I would have made a lousy pioneer crossing the plains.  The Lord is still working with me thank goodness. And Charity begins first with yourself, I keep reminding myself.  If I can love myself, then its easy to love others.
 
              Ginger, Casey, Tracey, Mom Tiede at Tracey's home for a luncheon after Temple---Albuquerque, NM
               Patsy and her friend, Rex, Brenda and Kenneth --luncheon after the temple at Tracey's home
                                   Getting ready to go hunt for the eggs--most of the grandchildren.
               Everyone scattered out to help retrieve eggs--so nice to have a big yard to run around, huh.
 Angie about to do the zip line--pretty impressive.  She was laughing, we were laughing--such fun.
Thanks to everyone( children and grandchildren) who came and helped with our work projects. We moved a lot of rock and dirt. Doug and I would have never been able to do it--our energies have to be conserved it seems these days. But we aren't giving up yet.  It was fun to have the kids, grandkids and everyone enjoying themselves at  the easter egg hunt.  I love my family! 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for being the family historian Mom. I can't wait to read Grandma/Grandpa's. You set such a great example.

    ReplyDelete

Doug on Twinkie

Doug on Twinkie

On the way out--Ilean--Doug right behind

On the way out--Ilean--Doug right behind