We had a special day Labor Day. We had requested help a couple of weeks past in tearing down some retaining wall and the old deck. It was a task way over our physical abilities any more. The children all agreed to make it a day helping us. 8:00 am Monday morning the Henderson's showed up. They came to work and we, Bruce and I proceeded to take down the deck. Sean and Doug worked on the retaining wall. Soon Beth and Roy with Finn came, then Casey, Helen and children. Mike and Angie and kids got there too, a little late, but came and helped finish up, including take wood to the dump. The children, especially Jack and Lucas stayed right with us to help too. We even had weeding done in the garden by Holly, Helen and girls, and who knows what else--I couldn't see everything that was happening. By 11:00 or so we had the deck down to the ground and the wood loaded on the trailer. The retaining wall was soon finished and the railroad ties placed under the fence surrounding the pasture. It was a great feeling to see all that work done in such a short time. It had weighed on my mind--of how we would ever get the yard remodeled--knowing we had to demolish first before we could start over. I so appreciate family stepping in to help. Thanks children and grandchildren. It was a wonderful family bonding time. Topping it off with a Labor Day barbecue and fresh corn from the garden, made for a special day.
Casey and Helen have had need of service too. They are in the middle of a kitchen remodel and basically have no kitchen. Doug and I were able to go help them Friday night, and then Mike and Roy went up Monday to help some more. They are further along for the help. I was able to go help out the Melton's on Tuesday with some painting and babysitting. I guess the only ones who didn't receive some service this past week are Derek and Kay, Beth and Roy, and Sean. This give and take in a family is so important. Service wherever we can give it is part of being in our family and in the human race. We get to give sometimes and sometimes we have to take. Thanks kids for giving to Dad and I and to each other. Your willingness to give means so much to us as parents, especially when we see you so willing to give to each other. We know you will be blessed. Now to figure out what to replace this with? ? the ideas are starting to come though. Stay tuned.
No comments:
Post a Comment