Last year, I was thinking, Holly , Bruce and the kids were out helping me rake, and mow and put all these leaves in some place, but, here I was on my own. Somewhere in the process, I decided that this grass, leaf clippings would make good mulch for dry areas in the flower beds--so I started to fill in the flower beds. Thinking of the poor plants who were moisture starved, and keeping a mulch on the ground to conserve what moisture is in the soil, would be a good thing for the plants. Is that what it means to be "down to earth"? You are thinking in terms of what it takes to sustain life in these plants, who derive their sustenance from Mother Earth. I know it is a good thing to keep ourselves close to the soil, and here I was yesterday, doing that. It will be many cold winter months before I can be back out working in it--Spring. So its kind of like putting everything to bed.
As I walked around the yard, I saw all these beautiful flowers that have still managed to bloom and open up in this cold weather, and couldn't help but marvel how they really have taken advantage of the bug free climate to produce prettier blooms. The rose bushes especially love to produce some "last of the season" blooms. The minature ones outside Holly and Bruce's windows were sure pretty.
And then I was really impressed with the little rose bush that Angie planted outside the downstairs window so many years past. It has thrived in that location, always producing some wonderful multi colored blooms. --had to share some of those with her--so cut some and took to her as she has been sick.
My love for flowers started so many years ago. We had a lady down the street--Marva Davis--who would grow the most beautiful flowers--even in the hot, hot climate of Vegas. I would go down to her house and admire her flowers, ask their names, smell them, and just enjoy being around the beauty. I don't know--but maybe heaven will be like that. And maybe my love for flowers is a carry over of that beautiful world--that we all long for. One of the most intriguing flowers to me was Marva's sweet peas. They have one of the most wonderful smells of all flowers, and are kind of tricky to grow. They come in all colors. My attempt at growing them this year only produced purple and reds. But their smell is just as delicious. Thanks Heavenly Father for flowers, and earth and grass and leaves.
Mom...this is why your place is "home" for so many. You nurture everything there: plants, animals, Dad, kids - thanks for the beautiful roses. They definitely made my day (along with that yummy pot-roast/veggies you put on the stove so my family would have dinner).
ReplyDeleteSimply beautiful Mom. I have to say you brought tears to my eyes. God has given us such a gift in nature. I do love this time of year, and marvel that the flowers are still at work, even though I'm inside seeking shelter from the cold.
ReplyDelete