Recently, Doug and I, have been called to serve as temple workers in the Jordan River Temple. That means that we serve there 1 night a week for about 4-6 hrs. Being in the temple first of all as a patron is very special, and to be called to serve is an added bonus. We try to go 1 x a week as a patron, and then our time 1 x a week in service. Doug was given a blessing when he was set apart as a temple worker in which the member of the temple presidency promised that our children would come to know of the importance and feel to make the temple an important part of their life as we served. As parents of now older children, that was an important promise. We are concerned for our children and grandchildren just like all parents, and pray for their welfare. We have come to know through our experiences in life, that Satan is alive and well, that he seeks to trip us up, blindside us, deceive us, etc--all in way to get us to turn from God. That promised blessing gave us a boost to know we were doing something that would help our children and gandchildren--something that would have far reaching effect--even if we aren't actively right there with them each minute guiding them through life. We have come to know that temple attendance is where it's at. That as we go to the Temple we are given special help, and numerous other blessings (mostly unseen) that help keep us on the right course of life. It is easy to think I'm doing OK. Life isn't handing me anything I can't handle. But, before we know it, our thinking is messed up, we are experiencing more problems than we can handle, etc, etc. Then we head to the Temple. It resets our thinking, we get the necessary course correction, and we are good to go. I think the real problem of regular Temple attendance is knowing when to be in the Temple. We just don't know what we don't know. "We're doing fine without being in the Temple-- so why go?"Like last night--Doug and I went to a session. I had thought I would stay home because I had some things I wanted to get done, and I was just in the Temple last Friday and Saturday. I could pass. I wasn't really in need of help, so why go? So I went anyway, because I have this in my mind of going 1 x a week to do some ordiance work, and quess what?--it helped, and I can tell. Seems like I need to have that lesson retaught each week. As I have been going regurally each week, I am of clearer mind and have happier thinking (maybe the best way I can describe it). Maybe we need to think of the Temple not just as a hospital where we go to get fixed, but as a wellness clinic--where we go to stay healthy. And it is in the regular doses that we stay optimally primed for life and all it can hand us. So everywhere I go these days, I promote Temple attendance on a weekly basis.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThanks mom. Frequent temple attendance is something we do tend to excuse ourselves from. Thanks for your insight.
ReplyDeleteThanks mom and dad for your continued example. I as your child have always known that what you say is true because of your actions.
ReplyDelete