Cowboy Ilean--our Grand Canyon trail ride

Wednesday, October 14, 2009





So here are my chickens, who help take care of my empty nest syndrome; ie., I don't really feel I have no children at home, if I have some chickens that are nesting in the backyard. Right? Well, they are at least fun to watch, feed, gather their eggs, etc. They can be a pain as they have flying out of their chicken pen (which is the orchard) that has been fenced and added chicken wire to prevent their escape. But they still manage. Hence the neighbors come to report that your chickens are out again. They always go back in by night, where we lock them in their chicken coop. Them and the dog, Cooper, which is black lab puppy, and a kitten, Smudge, make up my brood these days. And I guess the horses count also.


Which brings me to the tale of the kitten, Smudge. About a week ago, Jack and Hank and Tom were here at the house for me to watch. Taking a walk around the block seemed a good thing, so we leashed Cooper up and headed out. Only problem was Smudge decided to follow us around the block, which we discovered half way around. I couldn't pick her up and hold Cooper--(a disaster cat scratching would have occured). So we decided to cut the walk short and cut through the Legg's yard (the Woolley's old place) and head home hoping Smudge would follow us. She apparently got distracted, we found out later, and went across the street to the Jeremiah's home. They promptly saw her and thought, what a cute kitten, and "we should take her in and provide a home for her. We'll try to find out who she belongs to later" . We came on home and hunted for Smudge for 3 days, called neighbors, even tried to call the city pound, prayed for her to come home, etc. I guess you can say that Dad and I have gotten a little attached. I kept getting prompted to call the Jeremiah's , but I didn't have a phone #, so I needed to go by their house, which I did the Monday night after the "catnapping". Smudge was there and being well taken care of. They really did want to keep her, and really liked this cat. I told them that my kids and grandkids had really wanted us to have this cat, that we would keep her. Later that night we even got a call from Diane, asking if we wouldn't reconsider--she would get us another cat if the cat was just going to be a barn cat anyway. I told her no and was nice, but it left me feeling like--maybe I'm not such a good pet owner. I know they didn't really understand about outside animals--so let it go. But it makes for an interesting story. So--Smudge is back and we try to give her some extra special attention. She's a real purrer, whenever you pick her up. And just maybe she will want to stay around for long term.



Taking care of a house occupies much of my time, and as we finished up a hugh remodeling project, I wanted to take care of some of the final details. That is --painting trim, washing windows, etc. But I am a detail type of person at times. Notice the part I couldn't reach to paint the trim on this window outside the dining room. I will get it done before winter!! It will require I bring a ladder around and get that last little bit. I spent a whole day a couple weeks back, just doing detail things like that so that I can say the finishing touches have been done, and can give it a rest. Whew!

Doesn't the house look great--the remodel made our home look wonderful. I really love the green color.
















2 comments:

  1. She is such a sweet cat Mom...Mike's been telling everyone the story of the catnapping. Don't let anyone tell you that your place isn't an animal paradise...she's very happy with you, and the chickens and Cooper...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed...we love mudge as Tom would say.
    Glad to know we've been replaced by the animals!

    ReplyDelete

Doug on Twinkie

Doug on Twinkie

On the way out--Ilean--Doug right behind

On the way out--Ilean--Doug right behind