Cowboy Ilean--our Grand Canyon trail ride

Thursday, January 24, 2013

The middle of January

the 2012 sofa switch --from this



--to this--we can actually sit quite a few people together at one time--and
enjoy the couch so much.

The red couch went to Mike and Angie's (they will have to include a picture) and...


Mike and Angie's couch went to Bruce and Holly's and ...

their couch went to Casey and Helen's house.  Hope everyone enjoys their naps .


So I have been doing better at exercising--a goal to engage in it 3x's a week.  The eliptical is my means--and I know not enough time, but I usually get 20 minutes of that and then some stretching for my knee and shoulder (exercises from the physical therapist) finishes me up.  I have reorganized my office, with plans to really redo it when we add a walk-in closet for our bedroom, taking 3 ft of the office space.  I saw an office at Lisa Barton's home (my art teacher) that I fell in love with.  So that has inspired me to put this room into shape and make it a wonderful retreat where I can do genealogy, family history, art and whatever.  Right now the eliptical is in here, but that will have to change.  The art lessons are coming along, and I am almost done with a 2nd picture--the great white throne in Zion  Feeling pretty good about it.  I still need to frame my 1st painting. 

 
 I am enjoying the painting and mostly for me--the results.  Such a result oriented person.  It does get in my way of really enjoying life at times, but if that was and is part of my makeup--how do I come to peace with life and enjoy the journey--not just a result?  I appreciated Lena's recent blog entry, where she said she was just going to enjoy every minute of life.  My goal too.  I go along pretty good, being grateful for the "nows of life"--and then I get caught up in how imperfect things are, and how I don't see any results of what I would really like to see,  and I fall off the wagon, get discouraged and start focusing on what is wrong.  Not a good thing obviously.  The temple is hugh in helping me eradicate this attitude.  I am reminded that we get to learn to see and choose the good from the evil--a lifetime challenge.  I believe I am better at it, but when I wake in the middle of the night thinking of the thing or things that are not perfect in my life, I know I need to focus again on seeing and choosing the good of life--taking the bad and imperfect as part of it.    So maybe thinking about redoing an office, or a blank wall is helpful in getting my mind on good things. 
I had a good followup with Dana--my knee shot doctor.  I had loaned her a history of the latter-day saints when she expressed an interest in learning more about the Mormons.  I included a copy of gospel essentials as a reference book to go along with the history.  I had given her the book back in November, and I just this week had another appointment for another knee shot, so I could follow up on what she thought of the history, etc.  She had not started reading it.  But more important was how warm and open she was to me.  We had some good conversations --was seeking for some advice on her marriage and was open to hearing anything I shared.  Told me thanks for loaning her the book and that she would get into it.  I guess I feel that some good ground work has been laid for her to hear the gospel.  Doug said that was probably the most important step--building trust in me.  I had prayed for direction, and felt calm--that I was being directed in what to say to her.  A neat experience for me.

I have been called as a family history coordinator in our ward.  That entails for the time being teaching a SS class on family history--with me making up the class as I go.  That has been somewhat of a challenge--not sure where I needed to totally go, etc.  But it has been ok and good.  The ideas and direction have come from God.  I teach my 3rd class this Sunday.  Only have 3 couples-- a nice group to work with and get them started on doing family history.  Of course this is a topic I really enjoy and because of that can get pretty enthused when I share with the class member. They have seemed excited too--I guess one of my goals. 
Doug is winding down at work.  I think we are all ready to step into this next phase of life.  We are planning a trip to Death Valley.  I know sounds like our lives have ended--but I love the desert and especially at this time of the year.  We will take a road trip through central Nevada on our way there.
(I have never seen it)  So we have that to look forward to.  The inversions this year have been miserable, so , yes,  we need some sun and blue skies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Doug on Twinkie

Doug on Twinkie

On the way out--Ilean--Doug right behind

On the way out--Ilean--Doug right behind