Cowboy Ilean--our Grand Canyon trail ride

Monday, July 30, 2012

a breather



So our long planned Sampson reunion is past.  I think it turned out wonderful, with a pretty good attendance (although we would have liked more there) and think everyone had a good time socializing with each other.  The water/ and other activities Friday and Saturday seemed to be enjoyed by all.  I felt we needed to have the written history of Alice Parker Isom to add to a family history binder, so at the last minute I was scrambling to put that together with some unique pictures.  In typing up the history I came across some interesting tidbits of information on Alice's family that made me go do some more research to get the "rest of the story".  Found out that the Parker family was tied in with the Martin Handcart story, which makes these pioneers even that more real in putting them in the context of their times.  What interesting lives-- the more you delve into their histories.  I always get excited to learn more.  I was way excited to have a history recorded in their own words.  I gain so much when I read about their lives from their own perspective.  Helps me put my life in perspective, keeps me grounded recognizing that these people lived and passed on, and I will be too.  Keeps you humble, and looking to others who have gone on before for how they handled the difficulties of lives.  That I believe is what it means to turn the hearts of the children to the fathers and the father's to the children.  I know they must be interested in me, just as I am interested in them.  Maybe the curse spoken about is an arrogance, in thinking you have life all figured out.  And by remembering and learning about our ancestors it helps us maintain a correct perspective of our place in God's big picture.  We all get to die and meet our maker--and remembering that keeps us balanced.
I don't know--just a thought.
I will take a little bit of a breather, then move on to some more family history.  I want to learn more about another great great grandmother Lucinda Bybee Layne and write up her history with whatever information I can uncover.  Then we can add that history to the family history binder too. 

Here are some pictures I took of the family reunion.  I look to Greg to post the better ones--obviously I didn't get any of the water slides, rocket blasters, sitting around talking pictures.  I think I was too busy thinking about what needed to be done next. But anyway, these few will give me a reminder of our reunion.  Sure love all these family members.



   I guess I should also show the deck finished.  Thanks to so many helping hands to put the trex down--we got it done.  Now on to the next project. Sure looks wonderful huh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Doug on Twinkie

Doug on Twinkie

On the way out--Ilean--Doug right behind

On the way out--Ilean--Doug right behind